Friday, June 29, 2012

Blueberries


Yesterday morning, I met oodles of fellow townies at the Ag Arena to pick up two 10 # boxes of blueberries from the Annual Kiwanis Blueberry Sale.  My fingertips were blueberry-stained by the end of the day.


First, I froze bags of blueberries for eating.  Then, I made blueberry pie filling to freeze.  It is so great to pull out a carton of pie filling, make pie crust, pour it in, and bake.  Simple, summer goodness!  Here is the recipe I use:

Blueberry Pie FIlling

12 cups blueberries
3 cups sugar
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 T. grated lemon peel
1/4 cup lemon juice

Wash and drain blueberries.  Combine sugar and cornstarch.  Stir in blueberries and let stand until juice begins to flow, about 30 minutes.  Add lemon peel and lemon juice.  Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken. Ladle pie filling into can-or-freeze jars or plastic freezer boxes leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Cool at room temperature, not to exceed 2 hours.  Seal, label, and freeze.

I also made jam.  Just a few more berries to jam today and then I am finished!  Peaches are next...




No comments:

Post a Comment