Thursday, January 30, 2014

Nicaragua Bound


In a little over a month, I will pack my brand new passport to go on a brand new adventure.  In the middle of March,  I will join about a dozen other people from my church and few other churches to fly South to Central America and travel to the mountains of Nicaragua.


In Nicaragua, we will be setting up mobile health clinics, bringing medical care to the rural areas of of this very poor country.


I am excited to be going, in fact, honored to be going, but truth be told, I am a bit apprehensive about going.  The most out-of-country I have traveled is to the Caribbean and to Canada, neither of which required a passport to visit.  Even though I have heard plenty of stories from former short term mission trip participants and have seen many photographs,  I fully anticipate that pictures and accounts only partially prepare one for such a journey.


Not a trained medical practitioner, I will be serving in a support role on this trip.  My job will be working with the children while their parents seek medical care, as well, as helping with the preparation logistics for the clinics (counting and baging vitamins and pills, packing supplies, etc.).


Our housing for the week is an orphanage high in the mountains of Jinotega.  Typically, the team takes items requested by the children's home and art/craft supplies to work with the children during our non-clinic time.  I am learning how to "rainbow loom," so I might take this current elementary school craze to the children of Nicaragua.  I made my first bracelet yesterday!  I predict that in short time, the children there will quickly surpass my ability and creativity.


 And so I continue to prepare, practicing some very basic Spanish, reading a up a little on the country, and questioning friends who have previously gone.  As the times draws nearer with each passing day, I seek trust for the calling, faith for the journey, and peace for my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment