Digging through my scrap box, I found two fabrics that would work nicely; I proceeded to cut and sew. Basically, I followed the directions and dimensions from the tutorial with a few modifications. Since I didn't have any fusible interfacing, I added heft with cotton batting, machine quilting it a little to the outside fabric.
After I quilted it, I trimmed it to the desired size (9 x 12 in.), added a pocket with rickrack to the front, and stitched up handles with the same fabric as the outside of the bag. The inside is lined with the pocket pink fabric.
It was quick, easy, and pretty cute, I think. This little beanie baby friend fits perfectly inside. I can't wait to see our little granddaughter holding this!