Thursday, January 16, 2014

Blue


Today's sky showcased a light-blue yonder, a gift given smack dab in the middle of this often drab, dark, cold month.  Blue skies brighten any day.  I have never really considered myself a "blue" person color wise, even though I treasure the sapphire necklace I so often wear (a 50th birthday gift from my father). However, presently blue seems to be the color du jour.  Currently my television-knitting is a Rustic Shawl with some delightful wool from Oregon; "Denim Dusk" blue is the color.


Tuesday at sewing group, I gathered a stack of blues from our donated fabric and spent the morning cutting patches for an all blue quilt, tying up a kit for one complete quilt by morning's end. There are 48, 11-inch squares in this bundle…enough to make one 60 x 80 inch quilt for Lutheran World Relief.


Yesterday, here at home, I continued cutting and piecing blues (with some added pink) to make another mission quilt.  I plan to stitch this top together myself.  


Next month there are two baby showers to attend, and both babies are boys.  Even though, I typically rebel against gender knitting blue for boys and pink for girls, the two colors of yarn consistently catching my eye at the yarn store were these two shades of blue: "Crypto Crystalline" and "Dutch Teal."


The next mission quilt project in my sewing queue is border this unfinished quilt top.  And the primary color is…


I guess I've got the blues, shaped in soft, warm, comforting forms.

Last year at this time, I resolved to add more color and texture to my life.  Over the span of 2013, I took a color class, bought a color wheel, read up a little on color theory, and just started playing with color from the clothing I pulled from the closet to the fabrics I selected for sewing.  I enjoy the movement of learning new things that shift the lens through which I consider the world.  A lingering eye, a studied gaze, a curious examination of hue and texture combine in new and different ways add vibrancy and layered richness to the textile of my days.  

p.s. Blue top finished!


1 comment:

  1. Dear Ellen, I've just spent a delightful chunk of time catching up on your blogs from October to January. Such beautiful writing and fabulous pictures and sweet thoughts. Thank you for all the blessings. You've brought me great joy this evening!

    ReplyDelete