Friday, March 5, 2010

Spring Breaklet



I live in a community and teach in a high school that encompasses the faculty and staff of a major university--The Pennsylvania State University, who of course, marks Spring Break....next week.

Heretofore, our local and one-and-only school district, has followed the university calendar, a deliberate nod to the town and gown relationship of where we live. HOWEVER...this year, because of all the demands of a longer school year (dare I say "No Child Left Behind"...but that is another post altogether--those children left behind by the tests mandated by this law), our district has side-saddled "spring break," shortening it from five days to two. And oh, the controversy that has wrought. I reside in a funny land between the two sides. I love a break mid year, but I loathe even more ending school at the end of June when my classroom registers 90+ degrees, and I am eager to flee the institution of "school."

So this year our "Spring Break," or Spring "Breaklet" as I have coined it, is a two-day break. I am determined to make the best of these days, still illustrated by snow, pockmarked by the March sun which burns a bit closer and brighter. I cherish a few empty days available to fill my teacher well, drained by the the bleak midwinter, affecting both personal and professional. I am pretty excited to have four (!) days in a row off...

No comments:

Post a Comment