Wednesday, September 18, 2013

It's the bomb


Today is my birthday.  61 years ago, my mother gave birth to her only daughter at Cooper Hospital in Camden, NJ.  A elegant lady who loved her family fiercely, my beautiful mother guided and grew me to the woman I am today.  I hear her voice and see her hand in my life every day. I will never stop missing her or discovering questions I wish I could ask her.  I am more than grateful for her and for my father, who continues to be my North Star.  I am also grateful for the rest of my family--my beloved husband, who has now celebrated 43 birthdays with me, my incredible children who  I not only love but like and admire (I know that is not always the case in families), my children by love, who were smart enough to marry my kids and are incredibly amazing in their own right (as well as brave enough to perch willingly on this peculiar branch of the Campbell family tree); I pray for you all every day.  My three grandchildren continue to bedazzle me, crowning  me with depths of joy and love beyond compare. My extended family (my brother, my sisters-in-law, my brother-in-law and my nieces and nephew) help ground me, and my wonderful friends challenge, support, encourage and inspire me. I cherish the years I spent in school, with students and colleagues who filled my days with meaning, purpose, and passion. It sounds cliché' but life is good, very good indeed.

In honor of my birthday (not really but close enough), I finished  my very first yarn bombing last night.  Curious and intrigued by this form of graffiti knitting and after seeing yarners create the amazing Knit The Bridge yarn bomb in Pittsburgh, I thought it would be cool to yarn bomb something.  A couple of weeks ago, I rescued a chair my neighbor put out for the garbage and yarn bombed it for my son's classroom, because after all, this knitter needs to yarn bomb something school related.


I used Red Heart yarn in primary colors and employed a variety of stitches (stockinette, garter, seed, ribbing).  I made fringe, and tassels, and pompoms.  I striped, Fair Isled, and combined yarn.  




Forming day-by-day, as the spirit and my needles moved me, it is a total improv.  Fanciful.  Whimsical.  Serendipitous.   Just like my life....which, by the way, is the bomb too!

2 comments:

  1. No words...just a great big smile.

    Thank you for making me smile today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very colorful - and I'm sure this is a nice addition to Rob's classroom. Happy Birthday, you yarn bomber!

    ReplyDelete