Saturday, September 7, 2013

Good Stories



One of the joys of retirement for this English teacher is the gift of freely choosing what to read.  During years and years of teaching, I primarily read or re-read the books I was teaching.  Thus, serendipitously cherry-picking reading material is something I relish.

My Goodreads list is eclectic.  Over the summer, I’ve read a wide range of books—a story about friendship, art, and being oneself (The Elegance of the Hedgehog), a riveting young adult novel about the struggles of a transgender teen (Beautiful Music for Ugly Children), The Gilly Salt Sisters plucked from the shelves of the local library, Moonwalking with Einstein, a nonfiction read on memory, another young adult novel Wonder which weaves a gentle story of a young boy with facial disfigurement, Mary Pipher’s (a writer and person I love…) Seeking Peace:  Chronicles of the Worst Buddhist Ever, and at the top of my list, probably the loveliest book I have read in many years, Wallace Stegner’s Crossing to Safety.

I like to read books that make me better, stories that explore life’s conflicts and contradictions, sorting them out in meaningful and edifying ways. I guess that is why I became an English teacher. I really believed (and still do!) that reading and writing possess the potential to save us from ourselves. 

Sitting atop my bible and a half-finished crossword puzzle is the book I am about to conclude.  Written by a Newberry Prize winning writer, this book is targeted for the upper elementary school crowd, but if feels perfect for this adult reader right now.  Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool takes us on a journey both physical and metaphorical, as two unlikely friends go in search of a great bear, the end of the mathematically mythical story of Pi, and answers to some wrenching personal questions.  This enchanting novel blends fairy tale and adventure together with strong characters, beautiful writing, a compelling story, and powerful themes.  I intend to to send it off to my grandson when I finish. 

 I am grateful for this sweet book since I am troubled deeply by the news I read and listen to this week.  Our President, who by the way I support, is urging Congress to authorize a military strike against Syria. I oppose such action.   The narrative of this true life story is more than disturbing—a country’s leader turns chemical weapons against his own people, killing an estimated 1,400 innocents to prove what?  That he can?  And what will it prove if we do the same?  Are not immoral conflicts solved best by moral choices, choices made in the spirit of peace, justice and ultimately love?  Or so the reading of good stories teaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment