Friday, December 7, 2012

In the bag


In my preparations for Christmas, I endeavor to be mindful of the wasteful way we package things--the items we buy and the gifts we give.  In the past, I have wrapped gifts in tea towels, eschewed wrapping paper for a single satin ribbon, or used tissue paper because I believe it decomposes more readily.  This year I made a few reusable totes and small pouches to house gifts.  Just yesterday, I stitched up this.


This travel size pillow case was quick and easy to sew together.  I simply pieced the inside border and then stitched together the body and the two borders.  My children had travel pillows made for them by my grandmother (Matthew's still sits in his room!).  Always useful for small heads, the smaller sized pillow is great for car trips, watching television, or adorning the bedroom.

By family consensus this year, we are reducing the number of gifts we buy and give.  This rocketship pillowcase will house a special gift for a very special boy.  After the case is emptied, it will be refilled with a pillow. How about that?  Two gifts in one!


No comments:

Post a Comment