Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas this year



Believe it or not I have a Christmas 2012 folder, a relatively thick orange tabbed folder housing all the lists of gifts, menus, shipping receipts,  recipes,  and knitting patterns, all collected as I collected my thoughts for the Campbell family Christmas this year.  My teacher years of planning continue to serve me well in my attempt at organization.  However, planning and implementing don't always coalesce when a family is involved and once Christmas began here, it took on a beautiful life, all its own...

There was


 a Christmas Eve day family breakfast followed by


a first haircut.  We hung stockings and lit candles.


We lounged, snuggled


laughed


and read.


We had tea parties


and floor puzzles.


We ate too much, slept maybe too little, and bumped around a lot, together in this comfortable old home. I never did get that family photo, I planned to pose, a beautiful snowfall cancelled our day-after-Christmas dinner reservations at our favorite pub, and at some point, I lost control of the carefully planned menus as my son-in-law took over head chef duties (to my relief and ultimate delight).


It is a most wonderful life, isn't it?


No comments:

Post a Comment