Saturday, September 29, 2012

A Rosemary Day


It was a Rosemary Day yesterday, a precious day spent with my granddaughter as we continue getting to know each other.  Nearly six weeks old, she is beginning to focus  her world.  We spent a quiet day experiencing it together.  As we walked around the block, I looked at the houses and streets comprising her neighborhood.  I smiled good morning to a fellow clearing his yard and nodded hello to another morning traveler.  She slept snuggled safely on my chest, breathing in fall's fresh air.  We sat in her backyard garden, listening to bird song surrounded by the still-green of early autumn.  We lounged in her bedroom, standing by the window to follow the light, gliding in the corner chair, and studying the shape and brightness of her toys.  Her world opens as each day is unwrapped.

I am getting to know this daughter of my son--the shape of her head and her mouth, the slope of her nose and the drape of her neck, the delicacy of her hands and feet.  Her mama tells me her body temperature "runs hot" like her daddy's, and after our walk with her little body next to mine, I change her diaper and see some dots of prickly heat on her chest; her mother was right, but then mothers always know best.  After a little trial and error I discover a good place and posture to feed her a bottle (freshly pumped that morning) and she takes it (wonder of wonders!), drinking it down to the last drop.  I hold her, talk to her, breathe in the perfume of her and dream of all the days ahead...it is a wonderful life, sweet Rosemary.  Welcome to it....

2 comments: