Sunday, September 9, 2012

Knitting along


Ravelry is an online knitting community that offers space for knitters to organize a digital studio/noteobbok of sort for their yarn habit.  You can document past and present projects gather patterns, list yarn stashed, link to blogs followed, and "friend" other knitters. You have access to a vast network of knitters and can view their work and read their commentary, which is helpful when considering whether or not to make a certain pattern.   I joined in 2008 when it was all the rage in the knitting world, but my Ravelry page sat unedited all this time.  Basically, I used Ravelry to look at patterns and projects; I simply didn't have the time to invest in sustaining a real presence.

A few weeks ago, I happened upon a knitalong on Ravelry and I decided to join, a first for me.  So now I had a group listed on my page in addition to a "friend", a fellow teacher and coworker of my son's.  I added my last two projects and my page is starting to come to life a bit.  Better late than never, I guess...

The knitalong I joined was for The Quaker Ridge Shawlette, a lovely little shoulder shawl designed by Susan B. Anderson.  I thought it would be a nice piece to wrap around my neck, once the weather cools.  Yesterday, I assembled my needles, pattern, and my yarn--two skeins of Madelinetosh Pashima in Flashdance, a pretty multi purple.  The yarn is delicious, soft and a bit silky to touch.


I wound it during the first quarter of the Penn State game.



It is ready to go and so am I.  Today is day one of the knitalong, and tonight I begin knitting along with a couple hundred other knitters, this virtual knitting circle of women who all are making the same shawl.  Our "official" ending date is Sunday, October 21.  It will be interesting to see the difference other eyes and other hands make as we all knit separately and yet together.  I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment