Thursday, June 30, 2011

You've Got to Try This

I made four pies at the beach--two blueberry and two cherry.  The cherry pies were the hands down favorite (mine too).  Last summer, I tried freezing cherry pie filling; those cherry pies were made with that filling.  Yesterday, I made some more, so I thought I would share the winning recipe.

Cherry Pie Filling
 8 cups of tart cherries
5 tablespoons cornstarch
2 1/2 cups of sugar

Wash cherries; drain. Pit cherries.
Combine sugar and cornstarch.  Stir in cherries; let stand until juices begin to flow, about 30 minutes.  Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken.  Ladle pie filling into can-or-freeze jars or plastic freezer boxes, leaving 1/2 inch head space.  Cool at room temperature not to exceed 2 hours.  Seal, label, and freeze.
Today, it is back to the Amish farmer's market to buy more cherries.  I think four quarts of this red goodness are not nearly enough for the pies I need to make next year.  Go get yours soon.  Cherry season doesn't last long!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you were at Sunset Beach. My happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making this right now using cherries I picked with my 2 sons!
    How do use the filling after freezing? Simply pour into pastry lined pie plate? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete