Saturday, June 11, 2011

Endings and beginnings

After over a week of saying goodbye to my students, my classroom, and my colleagues, I woke this morning to welcome my first official day as a retiree. However, even as this third act commences, it begins by looking back with tender reflection:

...on the most beautiful retirement party anyone ever could have.  I am blessed to have worked with the loveliest of ladies who spun magic in my life by providing encouragement, strength, wisdom, good humor and love.

 ...on the love, devotion and blessing of an anam chara,  friend of the soul.  Carol's love for me and her work to mark this transition with elegance, meaning, and more than touching tribute has been beyond imagination or belief. It has rendered me speechless on more than one occasion.  To be known and to be loved so fully is one of life's greatest gifts.

 ....on my last days with "my kids," since really it has always been about them.  Over these past 22 years, I roughly calculate 2,200 names in those 22 gradebooks. These past several weeks, I have sorted through files (both paper and digital) of lessons, quizzes, student projects, emails, notes--a collage of so many faces and so many stories etched into my heart's memory.  I carry these always.

..and on all my talented, dedicated, and caring colleagues--members of the reading staff, the English department, the high school faculty and staff and the school district administration.  Their words and gifts to me this week have humbled me as they have honored me.  I am grateful beyond measure. Teaching (and education) creates unbounded wealth. And I know in every fiber of my being that I am indeed one rich woman.

1 comment:

  1. May God continue to bless you in this next phase of your life!

    ReplyDelete