Saturday, May 22, 2010

Mindless May Saturday


The countdown has begun. As of today, I have 16 (!) days left of school. Unless you are a teacher, you can, perhaps, only vaguely summon this end-of-the-year of state of mind-- weary, a bit melancholy, and yet almost (not yet) triumphant. After 22 years of teaching, the signs are all there: my summer-read books are all haphazardly stacked on the desk in my study--these are the books I can read when I don't have to read a book in order to teach it; the "to do" list of my own summer "home" work has begun in my mind, if not on paper; and, I have already started to look at my summer calendar and already have started blocking out time for family and carving out time for me during the 10 weeks that are "officially" summer vacation (it all goes by so much more quickly than I can ever imagine).

Lately, I have been working on a pretty mindless knitting project--a little afghan of blocks. I am only half way finished, but this afternoon, after a brief, restorative power nap, I decided to stitch together the first two strips of blocks while sipping a glass of wine. The pattern is pretty easy-- a knit-one-purl-one rhythm; however, it offers just enough color to keep it somewhat intriguing (albeit not overly taxing). Seems sort of perfect for the day and for the time of year, don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. I love the sipping wine/stitching afghan afternoon idea--sound great!!!

    ReplyDelete