Saturday, October 17, 2009

October in Central Pennsylvania





When my children were young and watching Sesame Street, there was a little ditty asking viewers to choose which "one of these things just doesn't belong." Snowfall in October just doesn't belong in a month of apples, sauce, pies, and beautiful fall foliage. But we had it this week, a historic storm and snowfall that brought down leaf-filled tree limbs and put the power out all over our picturesque town. We were without light, warmth, and the use of our kitchen for 18 hours.

Our sister Margie is here from North Carolina, and last night as we sat bundled in blankets talking over wine and candles, she sincerely questioned her decision to come "home" to Pennsylvania to take in a football game with her brother. Thankfully, our power returned, she and I took warm baths, and normalcy resumed. This morning, when I awoke to brew a cup of coffee and read the morning paper under my corner lamp, I reflected on all I take for granted, the abundance of blessings enjoyed each day. And things warranting whining of late, no longer seem all that important.

2 comments:

  1. that pie looks amazing! i hope we can make applesauce soon. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got me singing... one of those things is not like the others, one of those things just doesn't belong. I'm glad you're warmed up and appreciating all over again the comforts we are so dependent on.

    I'm with Alexis on the pie. I think I'll go make one!

    ReplyDelete