Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Old Singer Sewing Machine



I am sewing once again....

Over Thanksgiving vacation, I pulled out the old Singer Sewing Machine, the same sewing machine my mother taught me to sew on, the same machine that sewed curtains for most of my houses, the same machine that crafted Christmas outfits and Halloween costumes for all my children, and the same go-to machine for all my sewing repairs. It is surely an antique now, since the last copyright date on the instruction booklet is 1954 (or is that still considered vintage?). At any rate, it is mine, was my mother's, and gives my great joy to use (although it is much harder than it once it was for me to thread the needle!)

Before Christmas, I sewed Christmas pageant costumes for the men in my son Matthew's Sunday School class. These men, all of whom have mental retardation, were to appear as the wise shepherds in this annual church pageant. For some, this was the first time ever they had been in a Christmas pageant (I am not certain how this egregious omission occurred at our church because we were not members then). And so, I promised costumes. It had been a very long time since I had purchased fabric, and even longer since I fashioned something from cut yard goods. It was fun and gratifying to see these men robed and head covered in something I had sewn.

I completed two projects today, the description of which I cannot reveal until after my grandson's birthday...I think I just may keep my sewing options open for yet another day and another idea...

1 comment:

  1. It is a lovely machine!!! I feel like I am due for some sewing lessons on it myself--maybe this summer!!!

    ReplyDelete