Thursday, August 8, 2013

Okay is all right


Television coupled with knitting is routine evening relaxation for me.  Jim and I have been binge watching the series Parenthood this summer, and we are both captivated by the realistic story lines, the compelling acting, and enthralling themes of this absorbing comedic drama.  At a time when so much of tube watching seems vacuous, this is good television.  Since I don't want to be distracted while enjoying my show, my knitting projects often proceed automatically; they are, what I term, "television knitting."

Television knitting has to be something requiring minimal concentration and focus.  That is largely why I gravitate toward easy patterns, ones that contain elementary stitching such as seed stitch, garter stitch, stockinette stitch etc.  I can knit socks pretty effortlessly, as well as children's sweaters, prayer shawls, hats, cowls, etc. etc.  Lately, I've been working on a green basketweave throw.  I took it with me on our four-hour trip to New Jersey last weekend, since car knitting is much like television knitting.

I think I do the same thing with sewing projects--chose simple projects (except for the applique quilt I recently finished).  I like to make easy-to-sew patterns that are roundly useful.  I have made and continue to make a lot of tote bags.  It is fun to choose combinations of fabric,  and they are ever so handy for so many things,  especially a quick personal gift.  This one is for Jamie's daycare teacher...it has a lettered print lining.


Joshua Foer in his book Moonwalking with Einstein calls this settling into what's comfortable and not too taxing the "OK plateau," or "the point at which you decide you're OK with how good you are at something, turn on autopilot, and stop improving." I guess that is why knitters and quilters keep taking classes to hone their skills and expand their ability boundaries.  Most of the time, I perch on this OK plateau, content with what I consider an acceptable level of performance for me.  My handwork fuels a need for a daily dose of creativity, serving as a switch to tune my brain to another frequency, a resting place for wandering thoughts.  Keeping my hands busy  calms my mind.  And it need not be virtuoso performance to soothe my soul.



1 comment:

  1. What a beautifully turned thought this is:

    "My handwork fuels a need for a daily dose of creativity, serving as a switch to tune my brain to another frequency, a resting place for wandering thoughts. Keeping my hands busy calms my mind. And it need not be virtuoso performance to soothe my soul."

    I may well ruminate on it all day!

    ReplyDelete