Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Baby Quilt for our Baby Girl


For many months now, a focus for my creative life has been my new granddaughter, who I shall shortly meet!  After knitting and sewing many, many things for her,  I tucked them into a basket last week and on Sunday, presented them to her mama and daddy.


Included in this basket is a collection of standards (this and these and these), a garter stitch hooded baby sweater, and books.  I loved making her quilt, working with flannel for the first time and following a simple, brick quilt pattern.


I wasn't the only one who presented the joy-filled expectant parents with handmade gifts.  They received two other quilts, a beautiful ceramic piece of art to hang in the nursery, and a hand sewn diaper cover.


After the ceremonial opening of gifts, I sought out the other quilter in our group to ask her about hand quilting, something I want to learn.  Soon we were joined by a fellow knitter, and the three of us jawed on and on about our attachment to handwork.  Instant camaraderie forms with women stitchers who just know each other because we get our mutual drive to make things and then give away those things we make.   We talked about our process, how the work makes meaning of the day, and how each stitch taken is focused on the recipient, thus forming a fabric representing meditation and prayer.  For me, there is no better way to prepare for the birth of our first granddaughter than to hold her prayerfully in my heart and in my mind each day...

No comments:

Post a Comment