Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Ultimate Compliment

Two weeks ago, a colleague grabbed me in the hallway, gushing, "Just the person I have been wanting to see!"  Really, what a nice greeting.  She proceeded to tell me that the bibs I knit for her son are their absolute favorite bibs, tacking on a request to knit some more for her daughter.  She offered to pay.  Of course I agreed to maker more, flattered by the compliment; however, instead of payment, I suggested  she make a donation to our local PAWS in memory of a fellow member of her history department, a wonderful man (and teacher) who died too soon last June.  I finished the bibs this weekend.

I am uncertain what compels me to be continually on the "make" with yarn and needles; I always have a project or two piled in a knitting basket or bag, I always have yarn and patterns awaiting, and I am always making lists and rearranging lists of projects and gift ideas to give to family and friends.  I am never totally certain people really enjoy the things I make as much as I relish making them.  And maybe that's okay.  The making + the giving = a needed spark of creativity in my daily life. It isn't essential to know exactly how they are used after I wrap these projects up and gift them to someone.

These bibs are included in what would certainly be listed among my top ten favorite knitting books--Mason Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitter's Guide.  The book contains simple patterns, many made with dishcloth yarn, along with wonderful stories of knitting, craft, and friendship.  If you knit, buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment