Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Saturday in January


As a novice at quilting, I learn more and more with each quilt I make, but what makes learning fun and ultimately more productive is to learn and practice alongside others.  Bright and early this morning, I and four other women gathered to continue work on a common pattern, A Secrete Garden by Pat Sloan.  Honestly, I would never have gone from patchwork to applique' so quickly were it not for our inspiring teacher and this small group, we her intrepid students, who would follow her anywhere.  Five hours with beautiful fabrics, sewing machines that still amaze me at what they can do, and comfortable fellowship was an invigorating way to start the day.  I still can't quite believe I am doing this--making a picture from pieces of fabric....


Then...on this highly unusual blue-sky January day, a day when a new era of Penn State football began with the naming of a new head coach (coach Bill O'Brien), Jim and I took a bike ride through campus to the stadium, pausing at the statue to pay our respects.


What a gift is a day like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment