Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Inspiration


I started this blog, gosh (!),  three years ago, as a place to log my knitting and my thoughts.  Knitting and the knitting blogs I was reading at the time ignited the spark creating this space.  Lately, while I increasingly think about fabric and quilting, my knitting passion seems cooled. I have even considered adding to the title of my blog--something like “Nana Knits, Stitches, and Jams."  But that feels a tad cumbersome and probably unnecessary.   I just needed renewed inspiration; last week I got some.

I spent last week providing Nana/Nanny service for my littlest grandson as his mama returned to work.  One of the days I was there, my daughter arranged common time between me and his newest babysitter so together we could help this little guy figure out time away from his mama.  And this is how I met Tristin.

Tristin is a bright, articulate, interesting woman who knits.  While Jamie took an almost unprecedented three hour nap, she and I sat together, knitting and talking.  Tristin, a fascinating woman who paints, speaks Japanese, and knows sign language, expounded on her ideas of the importance of the work of our hands. She described to me how those convictions lead her to create "Hand to Hand Market" in downtown Greensboro, an event featuring “hip, handcrafted goods, underground art and vintage finds from some of the best regional artists, designers, crafters, and collectors this universe has to offer.”  The listing of artists and their work is quite impressive.



As I knit yet one more bib for Jamie out of humble dishcloth yarn, Tristin worked on a cowl from a lovely skein of  bulky yarn.  She showed me her inspiration on an Etsy site.  Later, I surfed the web for potential patterns to make myself something similar.  That time with Tristin, time of dynamic conversation, exchanging of thoughts, and sharing personal stories, time to bath in the passion and conviction of a younger generation toward the deep legacy of the work our hands, and time to remind me why I love knitting with other women at my side, was exactly the spark I needed to fan the knitting embers.  We travel best when we make this journey with others.  Thank you, Tristin…

1 comment:

  1. I hope she didn't throw a bucket of water on the quilting fire! :)

    ReplyDelete