Thursday, May 26, 2011

Packing Up

As I walked in the door a few minutes ago, my husband chirped this greeting:  "11 more days!"  In 11 days, I  relinquish my trusty computer, hand over my keys, and close the door to my classroom (room 212 South)  for the very last time. In 11 days, I will be a retiree.
From last September to this coming June (next week!), I have thought a lot about this what it means to retire. I knew in August  that my desire for this year was to be intentional, both with my students and with my colleagues.  I hoped somehow to use up and give away the best of what I have learned.  My way is certainly not the only way but I think I have learned a little bit about teaching kids to read and write and think and speak.

The past several days before I leave for the day, I have been cleaning out the bookcases, drawers, files, and closets in my teaching space. I make three choices--pitch (almost daily, I have filled all three waste baskets in our room, as well as respectfully recycling), pass it on (and what fun that is..gifting a book I think someone will use or an artifact/memory I have shared with someone), or bring it home, for my summer project of organizing my study to reconcile my teacher life with whatever comes next.
So here it is--the crate that brings it home and the piles now forming. There is a certain lightness to it all, really there is....

p.s. The first two pictures were taken by students of mine when we did a mini unit on seeing...both in our world and the world of reading.

2 comments:

  1. What a milestone in your life--you can certainly go knowing you HAVE made a difference in many peoples life, and there is so much to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well put Barbara. You are indeed your mother's and your father's daughter in your way with words and your ability to encourage and applaud.

    And yes, Ellen, exactly what Barb said.

    ReplyDelete