Monday, May 30, 2011

for James

In two months, we will meet little James--a new grandchild, a second son for our daughter...this boy named after her father, my husband.  Her dad and I talk about him all the time and pray for him (and his mama) every day.  I just like saying and hearing his name, a name now doubly precious to me.  We wonder what he will look like, what personality will manifest itself, and what his presence among us will bring.  Our family expands.
Over the past several months, I have been knitting for little James, dreaming of him nightly though my fingers.  Several years ago, I discovered this pattern. The combination of garter-stitched stripes of color, edged with braided tassels results in such a joyful baby blanket.   I have admired Mission Falls yarns and patterns ever since I chanced upon them online, and I always knew when the opportunity arose, I would knit at least one of these baby blankets.  I just finished it this week--seven different colors of yarn and more braiding of tassels than I ever imagined.  Someday soon, I hope to see a little head resting on this blanket and little fingers playing with those tassels.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet baby James has the most wonderful Nana...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I'm sure baby James will treasure his blanket from Nana. It looks as though we share a few things in common, (1) Love for God, (2) Love for knitting, and (3) love for Betsy! I found your blog through Betsy's recent post on Write the Vision. You have a lovely blog - with a GREAT name, I might add. Congratulations on your soon to arrive grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the hat and blanket are SO beautiful! As little James dances his familiar cadence in my belly, I am so excited to see what of your fingers will cuddle his little new body....his is a lucky grandchild already!

    ReplyDelete