Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Poem In Your Pocket Day






Tomorrow is  Poem In Your Pocket Day,  The idea is simple: you select a poem you love and then you carry it with you to share with co-workers, family, and friends.  Here is the poem that will sit in my pocket  tomorrow:



Holding My Beads   
    
Unforgiving as the course of justice
 Inerasable as my scars and fate
 I am here
 a woman….with all my lives strung out like beads
                                                 before me
It isn’t privilege or pity
that I seek
It isn’t reverence or safety
quick happiness or purity
                             but
the power to be what I am/a woman
charting my own futures/  a woman
holding my beads in my hand
                                            -by Grace Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment