Saturday, March 12, 2011

Felting

This week, I spent my knitting hours working through a basket full of remnant yarn from former projects ( I recycle well, don't I?).  Truthfully, I sincerely try to be one who uses up rather than throws out. Perusing my collection of yarn leftovers, I made my first pass-through, gathering up bits of assorted yarn to give to two colleagues who are creating a "recycled" project workshop, intended for a menu day during the long stretch up of upcoming PSSA days (AND that is another post altogether--No Child Left Behind and state mandated testing).  Then...I considered the remainder of this yarn and thought--I could really recycle it all into felted potholders.  So...I began knitting squares and combining colors, all the while relishing the fun of mixing hues and recalling other projects.


And finally,  I put them in an old pillowcase and felted them....into potholders.


Surely, there is a metaphor here. You take what you have, assemble it, plunge it into the rotating, hot waters of life, and you end up with something solid, useful....and just maybe...even pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment