Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Good Fit


I have been knitting sweaters a long time. The second thing I remember knitting (after a pair of slippers) was a striped sweater vest, made from acrylic yarn. I still have that now wrinkled, simple pattern, courtesy of a Community Education "Introduction  to Knitting" class I enrolled in shortly after our first child was born (...that would be winter of 1973. Oh my!).  Since I have been knitting almost 40 years, you would think that I would be able to knit a sweater that satisfies, in other words, a sweater that fits in a properly pleasing manner.  It is not as easy as it would seem to guess what a particular pattern, gauge, and yarn will yield on this aging body.

Today, I sewed the buttons on a sweater vest I knit up with  a few skeins of Paton yarn (on sale), hoping that this snugly fitted sweater vest would suit my need for warmth without sleeves. A simple little piece for this transitional time of year.  A quick, slip-on sweater that wasn't too big, too long,  too wide or too bulky (my complaints about other sweaters I have knit for myself).  I think it may just work!   I made a few changes, simplifying the edges and adding more buttons down the front.  This is one, I do think, I may wear a lot.

[As I am posting, Joe Paterno just won his 400th football game, making him the winningest coach ever in college football. And to think, he actually slept here, once living in our basement, the former home of the football coach who preceded him--Rip Engle. Our own a little piece of Penn State History!]

2 comments: