Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Marching Orders


In less than a week, I leave March here in Pennsylvania (current temperature 7 degrees) to fly south to Jinotega, Nicaragua (current temperature 62 degrees).  My packing this week assumes form  The piles of things accumulating in the closet now fill a carry-on bag or a small daypack to hook around my waist.  Two pairs of pants, one pair of capris, two long-sleeved t-shirts, five short-sleeved t-shirts, a pair of flip-flops, sandals, Keens, pajamas, light jacket, bathing suit, a hat, underwear, toiletries, a book (and book light), ear plugs, journal, bible, pens, and a few more incidentals. I have been told to pack lightly; I hope I am.

Our team already packed, spending a Saturday morning seeking the most efficient and effective way to squeeze medicines, medical supplies, prayer shawls, and donations for the orphanage into a fleet of large suitcases not exceeding 50 lbs.




We are ready, and I think I am as well.  My dear sister-in-law (a seasoned world traveler) sent me bandanas, soap that serves as shampoo and conditioner, a sleeping mask, money belt, along with her welcomed counsel. My sweet friends held a luncheon to send me off, showering me with love and donations for the orphanage (can you tell we are all retired teachers?!).  It all is such an encouragement, as I freely admit a sense of nervousness at flying off to places and experiences very unknown to me.



But this whole thing is really not about me.  It is simply a response to two questions--Can you go?  Will you help?  Thus I go, part of a team commissioned to bring medical help to a country where such help is in severely limited supply.  I go to help by summoning whatever talents I possess to be of use: to my team, to the people in the mountains of Nicaragua, and to the children and staff of the orphanage where we shall stay.  I go to listen, to watch, to learn, to work, and above all to love.

p.s. As part of my team, I will be the official "blogger."  You can follow our trip by accessing our team blog found here.

1 comment:

  1. You sound set to embark on this grand adventure - enjoy! I imagine this will be a life-shaping experience for you and I'm so proud of your efforts to stretch outside your comfort zone. I can't wait to follow your blog and hear of your experiences when you return. Travel safe!

    ReplyDelete