Thursday, October 24, 2013

From Sandals to Socks



Next week marks the last week of October. Even though green leaves still cling to the trees, Halloween is rising.  A pie pumpkin and acorn squash sit on my counter ready to roast. This week, I opened my sock drawer to dig out a pair of socks to pair with shoes instead of strapping on sandals.

Yes, fall is full-blown. The sun is not yet up when I walk out to pick up the morning paper. There was a hint of snow in the air today, the wind is blustery, the temperatures are falling, and the furnace pumps heat instead of air conditioning.  This week, while mowing the grass, my neighbor and I agreed it was probably the last of this season.

It's a bit hard to begin hunkering down to hibernate.  This changing season means fewer bike-ride days, fewer hours of sun, more layers of clothing, and a heightened chance that weather may interrupt a day's plans. But, I really do like the flow of the seasons here in Central Pennsylvania.  I like being able to don sweaters, wrap shawls, and pull on fingerless gloves.  I like the changing light at the end of the day and the slowness shorter daylight ushers in.

And while I enjoy the freedom of uncovered feet slipped so easily into sandals, I savor as well the soft color of hand-knit socks warming my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment