Friday, May 24, 2013

Thrift


With a last name like Campbell, I ought to be thrifty if one believes in stereotypes.  However, the real penny pincher in our family is my husband, who has long suffered with me, a more impulsive buyer who doesn't often comparison shop.  I do try, from time to time, and lately I have scored big (at least in my mind!) by thrift store shopping.


During our recent church women's retreat, one of our church matriarchs suggested that if I wanted to get a good deal on fabric and sewing supplies to use for our mission quilts, I ought to check out the State College Women's Club Thrift Store.  Open once a week on Thursdays, this thrift store has been in existence a long time, as has this branch of The Women's Club itself


I went a couple of weeks ago, looking for sheets to use as quilt backings. I found two brand new single bed sheets, in unopened, original packaging.  $2.00.  I also found a stack of hefty fabric squares, of home decorator weight colorful fabrics.  $1.25!  Those fabric squares were cut and pieced into tote bags--one for my friend's May birthday:


 one for a friend who is retiring:


 and one for our CROP Walk silent auction in October:


I lined the bags with stash fabric, embellished them with buttons from my button box or pins thrifted from St. Vincent dePaul Society Thrift Store.



Three bags crafted for under $5.00 total, I would guess.  Maybe I am a good Scot after all.  Jim, I really do try....at least sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful bags...great writing, good tips for this fellow Scot. (With a name like Bruce, I come by thriftiness so very naturally.)

    ReplyDelete