Monday, May 14, 2012

Appreciation


While rummaging through the attic, I uncovered a special box I haven't opened in far too long--the box my wedding invitations came in, the box holding my love letters from Jim, and wedding congratulations from many family members no longer with us, the box housing special notes and snippets thought worth saving.  Sorting through my life of 40 years ago, I wondered if young people still write love letters. I hope so, although truthfully I don't know if I want my children to read these letters. We were so young and a bit sappy.  The beginning of love is lovely but awfully naive, isn't it?

I found a scrap of newspaper, yellowed and small enough that I almost threw it away. It was from the once-upon-another-time "Good Evening" column in the Centre Daily Times, the local paper I still read, now delivered in the wee morning hours rather than the late afternoon.  The small clipping reads:  

APPRECIATION: From Ellen Herman, of State College and Jim Campbell of Pine Grove Mills to two big men in a snow plow for showing us that a blizzard isn't all bad.

My future husband and I were stuck in a winter snow storm, ready to walk and abandon his Mustang to a snow drift. And then we were rescued.  A good story with a happy ending.  An attitude of gratitude is always good.

Yesterday was Mother's Day and on Saturday, my eldest son arrived home with a bunch of tulips to proudly present to me. I love tulips. Then Jim, Matt, and I went out to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants. My other two children both called.  I am so grateful for my family both near and far, for the town I live in, for the friends who gift my life, and the animals who live it side-by-side with us. I am grateful for my church and the daily grace of my God. I am grateful for the rain that nourishes the spring grounds, the beauty of the azalea and rhododendron blossoming, the birds at the feeder, and the woodpecker in our wood.  I am grateful for the easy abundance of good food and clean water that sustain us every day.  I am grateful for years of meaningful work to do and the gift of retirement to begin something new.  For all these things and so much more, I give thanks...

1 comment: