Saturday, February 11, 2012

The magic of Facebook


One unexpected delight of Facebook for me is reconnecting with my past, especially students from my past.  The snapshots and tidbits gleaned from our Facebook "friends" allow and invite us to reconnect and stay connected to people peppering the timeline of our life.  While I acknowledge that Facebook can be a time suck, I am pleased to be tied by this thread to the lives of people I care about, people like Christina.

Christina is a childhood friend of my daughter, and because of that she spent time with our family throughout many significant milestones.  Since we lived and I taught in a small town, I had the joy of teaching not only my daughter but almost all her friends. That is how Christina became not only one of my daughter's dearest friends but one of my beloved students as well.

Now she is grown up, married, and ready to give birth to her own daughter; I know all this because of Facebook. Today is Zola's baby shower in Brooklyn.  I cannot be there, but I sent this book I love and this hat I made to welcome little Zola and begin her library. Blessings, Christina, blessings...It is a joy to participate in this event, even if it is in a virtual universe.


No comments:

Post a Comment