Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Sweet Little Hat


After my mother died, my father arrived on my doorstep one day with her knitting bag in tow.  "I thought you might want this," he said.  I did.  It is really wonderful to have her knitting and sewing "tools," and I use them often and with great pleasure.  One of the things I found in that bag was a little, now vintage, knitting book of "quick things to make."  It cost all of 35¢ to buy.  Gosh, what does 35¢ buy you now?

I really began knitting agin in earnest when Barbara was pregnant with Alexander, and one of things I made him was a little yellow simple seed stitch hat from this book. I just made one for his brother in red. It is such a quick easy and darling patter that I thought I would it share it with the modifications I made:

Simple Seed Stitch Baby Hat

Size:  6 months to 1 year
Yarn: 1 skein DK weight yarn
Needle size:  No. 4 double points
Gauge: 7 stitches.= 1 inch

Cast on 85 stitches and arrange on 4 double point needles.  Join, being careful not to twist.  Work in K1, P1 ribbing for 1 1/2 inches.  *Work 8 rows stockinette.  Work 8 rows seed stitch.  Repeat from *twice, cut yarn leaving about a 10 inch length.  Thread into needle and draw yarn through all stitches.  Fasten and weave in end. You may, if you wish, turn ribbing to the inside of hat and sew it into position.  Or, you may, as I do, simply turn it up, allowing for a longer hat. Trim top of hat as desired (pom pom or tassel).  

These really are so sweet, especially adorning such a sweet little head!

No comments:

Post a Comment