Saturday, August 21, 2010

On the wane




Last evening biking around campus, I couldn't help but see signs of fall abounding. The sun is setting sooner and yesterday, it seemed especially close and brilliant. A more than slightly detectable fall chill hangs in the dusk air. Hopeful Blue Banders line Penn State practice fields as the director barks out amplified commands. The dorms fully filled and fully lit spill out their occupants who dribble basketballs on courts, throw footballs on nearby grassy grounds, or simply congregate on sidewalks.

Tuesday, I head back to school. This past week we took a final getaway jaunt to Pittsburgh to ride the Montour Trail, a Rails-to-Trails path that winds through Moon Township, the same parcel of land where my grandparents once lived. We visited my Aunt Betty, who at 92 is still as sharp as ever. She baked us cookies--oatmeal with crasins; they were delicious. We also found The Dor Stop Restaurant, one of the places featured on the Food Network's "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" (one of my husband's favorite television show, second only to watching his Pittsburgh Pirates). I had amazing banana oatmeal pancakes, and we enjoyed delightful conversation with the owner and his daughter who told us stories of meeting Guy Fieri and his Food Network crew.

All in all, a perfect summer capstone.

2 comments:

  1. Such a perfect getaway. Thank you for describing it to us in words and adding pictures to boot. Seeing your smiling Aunt Betty reminds me that I must go visit my dear friend Rowena who is 94. She too is incredibly sharp, witting, and oh so interesting. Alas, her health is failing. She's living in near constant pain, and it breaks my heart to see her this way. But a visit would cheer her. I'll go tomorrow. (Please hold me to it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I really should proof read before posting. Witty, I meant witty.

    ReplyDelete