Monday, July 5, 2010

A Summer Vacation Prayer


We have returned from our annual Campbell family beach week, and my “other” summer vacation begins…now. As a teacher, I leave my classroom in June, exultant in the expanse of time appearing before me. Interestingly, the word “vacation” comes from an Old French word vacare meaning “be unoccupied.” However for me, summer vacation means to be occupied with other things, pursuits often neglected from September through June….

Oh Lord…
let this summer be a time of
calming, a time to slow down and breathe
clearing of clutter and cobwebs
connecting more deeply with family and friends
restoring inner balance
ordering home and
caring for life
directing energies in other ways
filling up the spiritual and emotional well
knitting, reading, cooking, exercising, and praying more

And may I be less urgent about it all, relishing the pleasure of living fully in each present day. Amen.

1 comment: