Friday, February 26, 2010

green + white + snow + wind = snowday striping


Very early this morning, the telephone rang. Here is what we heard:

" ...This is a routine message for all district faculty and staff and all parents and guardians. All schools will be closed today, Friday, February 26, 2010, due to weather. Again, all School District schools will be closed today.Thank you."

A snow day! I truly believe teachers get more excited about snow days than do their students. All week long there has been chatter and speculation about if and when and would we have an early dismissal, late start, or best of all...a snow day! And today our deepest desire is confirmed.

As soon as I hear the cancellation message, my mind begins the delicious journey of planning what I can do with this gift of time. It is just 8 am, and I have already watered and fed all my plants, sent a few emails, checked out my favorite blogs, and copied this recipe for cookies I would like to try (maybe not today since my students, and colleagues, and I ate our way through 3 boxes of Girl Scout cookies yesterday!). I can continue striping fun with two balls of Lion Brand Superwash Merino, making what I hope may be the softest socks ever. And I might even begin to cut out some napkins from some homespun fabric that just arrived. Surely, this is going to be my marvelous, wonderful, no bad, very good day.

3 comments:

  1. Oh enjoy your day--this is my last day of drawing marathon...will be ready for a new Friday routine.

    I too copied that recipe--maybe we can make it when you come to visit! Alex keeps asking me when we will see you as he misses you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow day here too! The young school teacher/mama that I babysit for on Fridays asked if I would watch the girls so she could clean house. I was happy to. Tom came home early and we made dinner and had the little family join us. (The daddy was good friends with Aaron in high school. It's almost as good as having our kids around.) All in all, a fun snow day.

    ReplyDelete