Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Gifts of Writing


I have a traditional, before-holiday break activity that I do each year with my high school students--it is called "Gifts of Writing." This year I added "Reading" to the descriptor so today was the day of "Gifts of Reading and Writing."

A little backstory. Each night, my students are required to read 15 minutes of a book of their choosing; that is their primary homework assignment. When I announced this in the early fall, these kids (all struggling readers and writers) groaned audibly. Today, the gift we gave each other was to bring in a book we had read and chat about it..a book club of sort for teenagers who would "never-no-way-ever" be in a book club. The conversation was heartwarming, and I now wish I had turned on a tape recorder. Our following activity was to make a "gift of writing." More groans. I described to them my desk drawer full of notes, letters, special programs, newspaper clippings, and cards--all gifts of writing that preserve time, occasions, and loved ones for me. I challenged them to think of one person- a friend, a parent or grandparent, or even (gasp!) a teacher who would cherish a gift of their words. They roll their eyes in disbelief. But it never fails, and today was no exception. I gave them some ideas of forms, provided models, pretty paper, piled up usable cards, and put out ribbon, glitter and glue. By the end of the period, I was writing late passes, passing out more cards, and oohing and ahhing over what they have produced. Later in the day, five kids returned to make "just one more...."

And here is the coolest cookie I have ever seen, presented to me from one of my at-risk learners. My last name, written in cookie dough with READ! written in red on the first letter. A gift of writing...to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment